Sunday, February 7, 2010

Moving on... 21st Century Learning

This post by [the Langwitches?] gave a lot of insight for teachers of the 21st Century. Sure, there is the big debate on technology in the classroom that we have been studying for a while - and yet I still can't seem to form a solid opinion of my own. I agree with this post that the goal of teachers is "to equip and enable others to collaborate, connect, communicate, and create," but is this also what the author[s?] believes what makes "21st Century Learners"? Blogging - one of the most commonly pushed forms of the listed C's in classrooms that I've noticed - seems to be what most "technologically literate" teachers are teaching their students. I personally am not too fond of blogging, and I don't necessarily feel like I'm TOO much better off now than I was before just because I've acquired this "skill." Maybe I'm just really not convinced enough... Technology is important, but really how much class time can be allotted to teaching blogging instead of something that will be crucial in helping the students pass their CRT's? Curriculum is probably the issue there, but the point is still clear. Plus, most schools don't have funding for these programs!

I have a feeling that I will not be hearing very good feedback on this post, but I just haven't found my middle ground yet. I'm just not convinced... but the discussion description in Tracy Weber's post "21st Century Classroom or 21st Century Learning" helped put everything into perspective...

21st Century Classroom or 21st Century Learning- Tracy Weber

"Purpose: To encourage educators to plan their classrooms from a learning perspective rather than from a tools perspective. Don’t buy the tool and then figure out how to use it. Instead, figure out what learning should look like, and then focus on obtaining the tools to create that vision."

This analogy made more sense to me than anything that I've read so far concerning this issue... and I really don't think I could possibly have said it better myself - nor can I really even elaborate on it any further...

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about schools not always having the funding for wonderful technology. But some schools might. It is important for us to know how to use technology so that, should we have access to it, we can use it. But I also think you are right. This is not going to help them with tests and such. There still MUST be an element of direct teaching by a teacher who is competent and can teach basic subject matter. Well said, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...yet I still can't seem to form a solid opinion of my own." You don't have to. And Tracy Weber's suggestion is spot on. What do you want to accomplish? What tools are most likely to work. My argument is that the students of tomorrow (watch the videos, read the statistics, discuss with younger kids) will EXPECT you to use their technologies and if you don't they will either ignore you, disrupt you, or leave you. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. Even among your peers I think I am correct!

    And as for blogging - I can actually get students to write and care about how they write because it is public. So my old fashioned belief that writing is still important can be fostered with the new tools! But writing may be doomed and refuse to acknowledge that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your view of technology - I'm not sure whether it's something that should really be taught in schools, and I'm not a blogger either. But I can also see where the use of technology is beneficial, but it may not be in every case.
    I keep going back and forth with my own opinions on technology, but I am seeing more of both sides.

    ReplyDelete