Sunday, April 18, 2010

Comments4Teachers: Candace Follis

Mrs. Follis is a second-year high school teacher of English. Her blog The Follis Files is specifically aimed at new teachers. I admire her outlook on teaching; she believes that "it should be relatively authentic, it should be as student centered as is appropriate for material but still beneficial to students, and that we should have high expectations to the extent that students are appropriately challenged."

My favorite post by Mrs. Follis was her post about how her experience as a waitress has helped her in her teaching career. As an experienced waitress myself, I am excited to realize just how much my work will help me in the classroom in the future; I always knew that it takes special attention to successfully wait tables (so everyone is satisfied!), and now I really see how this ties into teaching: you have to make sure every student is accommodated for, too. YOU are there for THEM.

Her post about her favorite things surprised me: they're some of the things Dr. Strange has taught me to use! Mrs. Follis seems to really rely on her PLN, too. I will definitely add her to mine: she offers a lot of insight for new teachers, and the fact that she's an English teacher makes her more appealing and helpful to me, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment