Sunday, May 2, 2010

PLE and Motivation

Motivation
This seventh grader used Symbaloo to create her PLE. I looked into this website, and there are many options available: this is completely customizable, and I'm working on creating my own. This seems like the easiest way to keep up with all the important websites included in a PLN - all in one really accessible place. I still have a lot of organizing to do (I'm still learning about this website!), but I will post a link to it soon. My PLN is basically just a list of websites; I would like to have them all organized according to topic and reference using this website.

Daniel Pink created a very motivational video about two questions that - no doubt - change lives everyday. "What is your sentence?" and "Am I better today than I was yesterday?" These questions helped me to try and identify who I am to myself and how others see me. My "sentence" is basically this: what I am and how I motivate/help others. As a future educator, this defines my entire person - if my "sentence" isn't motivating or inspirational, what am I accomplishing as a teacher? So is it really my place to create my own sentence? I don't believe so. My job is this: to be the best that I can - better than I was yesterday - so that I do my job as efficiently and wonderfully as I can so that others see me as a valuable asset to their education and advancement. Then they create my sentence for me. BUT, since it doesn't really seem to work that way just yet (since I'm not quite a teacher yet), and for the sake of this assignment, I suppose I can come up with something that perhaps other people would agree with (or is that the point entirely?)...

For now:
"She uses her passion for English to expand her knowledge basis to be a better person and educator than she was yesterday."

...so hopefully when I finish my education and have a class of my own, I can use what I've learned to create motivation that lasts in my students, and they would say about me that...

"She used her passion for English to inspire her students to articulate their ideas and appreciate the works of great authors while creating their own."

I now see the point that "everyone reserves the right to change their sentence" - because really, if you really are striving to be a better person than you were yesterday, shouldn't your sentence change, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment